Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Advanced Sword and Backpack Redux


In my Breakfast Edition of Sword and Backpack I included a page titled Advanced Sword and Backpack. It was lack of a better term that I choose this verbage but when I run out of booklets I would change it to Campaign Play or something along those lines. In gaining more experience with Sword and Backpack I am planning on making these adjustments as well.

Character Advancement
Players can earn 1-4xp per session. Every 20xp can be spent in the following way:
  • Gain +1 Wound
  • +1 to their Primary Job (Max +6)
  • +1 to a Secondary Job (Max +3)
  • +1 to a Side Job (Max+1) 
  • Can write down an interesting specific fact about your character where you can bring a class bonus to bear in a situation that would otherwise not call for it.
Armor
My initial thoughts on advanced armor was armor would increase your wounds depending on its rating. +1 for light, +2 for medium, +3 for heavy, and shields would add +1 and could be sundered to ignore a successful hit.

After some experience I have decided that that system really does not work well for the flow of S&B. So here are the updated armor rules:
  • Describe your armor however you want. When you lose your final wound, your armor saves you and you keep fighting as if you are at 2 wounds. You must spend time repairing your armor after such an encounter or pay to get it repaired
  • Shields do not add any bonuses but can be sundered to avoid a successful hit. Shields sundered need to be replaced as only magical shields can be repaired


Gold Standard
I used the simple reference to gold pieces/points because it was on the character sheet and part of the original. Though, to be honest I have never been a fan of the Gold Standard found in classic Dungeons and Dragons style games  as the conversion rates start to get ridiculous and just way to much accounting.

I would suggest and I personally use for all of my games the Silver Standard. All prices are in silver and if you must two coppers equal one silver. Skerples gave me the head cannon that a silver coin is equivalent to approx. $10.00 USD. So I would make Coppers equal $1.00 USD and that would provide a conversation rate of 10 coppers to 1 silver.

4 comments:

  1. I love the armor rules!

    I don't really use hits, but I runkrun a of "will be shattered" rule where heavy armor just prevents a mortal injury, and light prevents a severe injury.

    The coin notion of silver to $10 is super helpful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The coin notion really helped my mind as well.

      Delete
  2. I would get rid of the bonus to the roll in favor of a lowering of the difficulty number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super nice! Simple and elegant as always...

    ReplyDelete