Sunday, March 24, 2024

Secrets of Arn

 

It is no secret that I prefer rules light games and the FKR style of play. I may not get chances play or run in those types of games often but my research into the history of the hobbit, how it affects what I want out of the table, how it effects my own Referee style, and how it effects my game design continues. 

The research and deep dive into history has also sent me into an archival mode so to speak. There are games, play styles, and history that has been lost to the sands of time or are close to it. This has created a drive to attempt to preserve things where I can. 

But I digress, last week I re-watched Secrets of Blackmoor and I came across this video about a week ago:

The above video was the tipping point that sent me into a creative spiral. I am harnessing this creative energy to create something that will capture the style of game Bob Meyer describes above, how Blackmoor was and continues to be played since 1975, and for an archival purposes as well. With all of that being said, here is what I want to accomplish with Secrets of Arn:

  • Players should only be given (will have access to) the character creation process
  • Character creation will be in a free form manner where the players answers various questions/prompts/and make choices 
  • Players will experience the rules as the play the game in an emergent and immersive way
  • Include the "secret" rule book for referees so anyone (even those that has never played this style of game before) has everything they need to share this experience with their players 
  • Straight forward rulings and "how to use dice" guidelines for the Referee to use as the story unfolds
  • Capture the DIY/Print it at home vibe

 It all seems like a lofty goal but I am hoping to create something that will stand the test of time, expose players and referees to a new gaming experience, and a game that the Twin City Gamer's would be proud of.  

The writing continues in earnest and I have received the cover art from Inked Gas! His art never fails to impress.  There will also be some art at the start of the Referee Guide and maybe some for the Referee Tools. There also may be some spot art included. 

Regardless, Enjoy the sneak peak at the cover!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment