Sunday, February 23, 2020

Chronicles of Neverwhere: An Introduction

The Seeds of Inspiration
For a long time I have been wanting to put together a campaign and run. Over the last few years between time, the waxing/waning of motivation, gamer ADD, lack of people to run it for, and countless other reasons my campaign has never happened. Though, at this moment despite various obstacles I find myself motivated, inspired, and I have people to run it for.

My main inspiration for the core concept of this game as come from three places. The first one bringVincent Baker's Dogs in the Vineyard (sadly the game is currently unavailable but additional information can be found here, here, and here.) Secondly, from the work done regarding the Ashen Company on the Runehammer Forums and Justice: An Ashen Company Adventure. Finally, I cannot forget the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones.

The base setting is heavily influenced from Warhammer Fantasy with ideas mined from The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane.

So, the world is dripping with the usual fantasy tropes, politics, chaos, corruption, a dash of black powder, and beings that just want to see the world burn.  

The Premise
All characters are members of the Crimson Company (they get their name from the crimson cloaks they wear which acts like a badge of office) which is a company of Rangers that are set up like a guild. The Crimson Company has authority to seek out corruption, act as law officers, and sit in as a judge if necessary (their authority is recognized throughout the various lands and kingdoms - think something like the UN). Though, with that being said the Rangers mostly deliver mail, assist towns with problems, protect people and towns from monsters, retrieve artifacts from forgotten places, etc. The Rangers get a monthly stipend for travel and food, access to some specialty items,  and must submit a percentage of their wealth found to the guild in addition to logging in magical items.


The System of Choice
This is where I have went round and round with myself to decide what system to use. I have done a lot of prep work using differences systems then decided to scrap it at the last minute and look for something else. I have finally decided on using The Black Hack Second Edition along with some of my rules variants (One of the systems I have had to mess with the least).


Setting Notes
I am keeping the setting vague for various reasons and some of them I cannot discuss because I know my players read this blog. Mainly because I want to the world to be a living, breathing, and growing situation so my players can add to it. There are a few points to note about the setting:

  • The war between the Gods and the Titans (from Scarred Lands) did happen in the distant past of Neverwhere. 
  • I am using the pantheon from The Scarred Lands.
  • There is a strong element of Chaos and and the substance warp stone which both cause mutations and other nasty effects. I was going to post my page of rules regarding that but I want to keep it a surprise when my players encounter mutants or suffer the taint themselves. 

Well, that is it for now. I hope to have a Session 0 up in a few weeks or at least some more setting information.

2 comments: