Saturday, April 18, 2020

Product Highlight: Skew Dice


I came across these dice completely by accident one day and they are really something great. These dice are from The Dice Lab and the Lab was kind enough to send me some pairs of their skewed d6's for review and to pass out at my demos. The red set has already found a new home.

 

Even those these dice look wonky they are just as fair as cubes because of math and geometry (that is the short answer). Their website states that, "Skew Dice are based on the trigonal trapezohedron. (A cube is a special case of a trigonal trapezohedron.) We distorted the faces in such a way that they remained flat and are congruent (each one has the same size and shape). In addition, the distorted polyhedron is an isohedron, meaning that the symmetry group of the polyhedron is transitive on the faces. Despite their bizarre appearance, this means that Skew Dice are just as fair as regular dice". 


I have had these dice for a few days and they are tactility pleasing to handle and they are a lot of fun to roll. I have spent a few hours rolling them with some normal square d6's and I have noticed two main things. The first thing is that they are just as random or "fair" as the squares. Though the second thing I noticed is even more important because these Skew Dice are just more satisfying to roll.

This is the first time I am highlighting a product and I am surprised at how much I like these dice. Yes they look cool and different but I was not expecting them to be so satisfying to roll and handle. I would recommend these dice to anyone who needs some new dice and even if you don't, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair just for the experience of it. Plus, I always enjoy pulling something out of my dice bag that catches peoples attention and is different. 

The Skew d6's come in the following colors:
  • White
  • Black
  • Green
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Green
  • Translucent Amber
Skew dice are also available in d8s and d12s. The Dice Lab have a few range of dice the focus on fairness with numbering order and shapes. All thanks to math and geometry.


No comments:

Post a Comment