Friday, July 21, 2023

The New School Revolution?

 

New School Revolution or NSR is a more recent term that turned into its own thing and has some great support. This was mostly due to the efforts of Yochai Gal.  I know for a fact I have not talked about this on my blog and when I do, I want people to know what I am talking about. Defining of terms is always something that is important to me.

It is a term I have learned about recently and the whole mentality behind the NSR has taking on a life of its own and is starting to become something that takes on personal meaning to each person. To me, I find it is a love of rules that are light which focus on fiction and character development. Plus, I also enjoy the fact that it doesn't have a lot of the negative political baggage that the term OSR can bring up. 

The blogger Pandatheist wrote up a solid expanded definition from a bullet post list that probably won't get you stabbed in a shady tavern after dark. I will re-post the thoughts here for posterity sake.

"A Weird SettingMore palette than approach to play. It was a common recurrence among OSR and OSR adjacent games at the time I wrote the original post to draw from a similar well as the New Weird literary movement, or to lean into psychedelic mechanics and trappings, or simply to add a layer of the surreal. It was an explicit pushback against “vanilla fantasy”. I’m not quite as tapped into the scene as I was and I have no idea if this still holds, but back then it felt like a common enough trope to call it out explicitly.

A Living WorldSometimes in trad games, built for campaigns, or indie games generating everything contextually, it feels like the world warps around the characters. In NSR games the players far more often play protagonists of this story than heroes of THE story. Sometimes they’re just the latest trespassers. They’re the focus, but not the hinge the world turns on. Things happen in the background. Cities rise and fall. Kingdoms war and conquer. Life moves on. The world advances whether the players do or not. On the small scale you’ll commonly see this represented as wandering monster tables, sometimes tied to reaction rolls. On the large scale you’ll see this as things like faction turns.

DeadlyMaybe the term I regret the most from this list. I should probably have gone with “consequential”. Barring funnels and horror games, deadly combat isn’t quite what it appears to be. Many of these games care about resources, and HP just happens to be one of them. Monsters are moving traps. Resource drains. They’re excuses for creative thinking and smart planning and sneaking and diplomacy and… Monsters are dangerous because you should be avoiding them or talking with them. They’re disincentive. And more than that, the reasons behind a living world apply to your life and death too. That dragon isn’t a gold hoard with an HP value. Its a creature a thousand years old that plans to outlive you. Combine and you have a lot of tables that rarely see characters die. Although for what its worth, most of these games are rules light, chargen is fast, and if your character dies it takes less than 5 minutes to create a new one. So it goes.

Emergent NarrativeThe story isn’t in the book the GM buys, and it isn’t in the narrative the GM presents. The story is what the players do. Players don’t play through a story, they create one through their actions. The only difference between this and what many indie games do is how much is pregenerated vs generated on the fly.

External InteractionA long time ago I ran a Kingmaker campaign in Pathfinder. And every time they would enter a new scene, before I could describe anything at all, one particular player would roll their d20 and tell me what their perception check was. It was a mechanics first response. Compare to something like Into the Odd. In an ItO game I would describe a room and players would tell me what they wanted to do in the fiction. At the point where there was a question about what could happen or what was possible, only then would we look to the rules. So. External environment first instead of mechanics first. External interaction. Fiction first might have been a better description, but the term has historical baggage."

Re-reading these explained bullet points I have to say I am 100% on board with the definitions and the spirit of the NSR. I am also ecstatic that Pandatheist redefined by what was meant by deadly because you all already know how I feel about pointless character death which lead to the OSR Mythbustin' 1, 2, and 3.

The best thing about the NSR is not some definition or the spirit of the law. It is the people, the community, and the support that is given to all players and creators. I cannot recommend getting involved in the games enough or just having a conversation. Grab your pen, some dice, and jump in.

No comments:

Post a Comment