Friday, August 11, 2023

My Favorite Thing About the OSR/FKR/NSR

 


This post was actually funny to write because I realized what I wanted to talk about required some definitions and explaining. So, before I could even finish this post I had to talk about what FKR and the NSR were at their foundational ideals which spawned the above two posts.

Anyway, I know I have talked in length about how much (and why) I enjoy and prefer games that are rules light but the other night I was reading through Cairn and I realized what one of my favorite things about these games are. It is not the lightness of rules or the weird worlds or any other reason that I have gone on and on about. 

My #1 one favorite thing is that everything does not necessarily want to eat/kill/fight the characters. Even if the characters are in a dungeon or open up the wrong door in a tavern and find a table full of bugbears playing cards.

That is why I am a huge fan of reaction roles for initial disposition and allow the characters to role play the situation out. This creates for more immersive interactions and allows the players to help make real time decisions about the interactions. Speaking of players, they should already be aware that combat is usually not the only option and sometimes not even the wisest action. Gives great opportunity for parlay, teamwork, or even making some unique allies - even if it is just for a short time.

 


To take this idea and philosophy of not everything wants to immediately eat/fight/kill the characters a step further and to keep the immersion going is to remember that when the characters enter an area (especially in dungeons) the denizens of the dungeons should not just be standing around waiting to fight anything that walks through the archway. The original occupants should be doing something/anything - or moving around. I think this whole idea might need a post on its own one day.

Keep those reaction tables handle, roll liberally, and enjoy the interactions.


No comments:

Post a Comment