Monday, October 9, 2023

Powered By Sword and Backpack

 

I have had this idea for a long time to attempt to create a Powered by Sword & Backpack movement. Something akin to a game jam that does not end. Since my previous post about my invisible rule book for Orthodox Sword & Backpack (some of the things in my invisible rule book has changed) and discovering that the game was removed off of itch but still exists in an old Tumblr blog has made me redouble my effort. This information made me paranoid that Sword & Backpack my vanish to the sands of time like TWERPS, Dinky Dungeons, and countless others. This is something I want to prevent as I think Sword & Backpack is an important touchstone to the table top role playing game scene. 

 

With that being said, this is more then just historical preservation and a call to arms because this is a CHALLENGE! As James George of Olde House Rules recently stated:

"I've always said crunchy systems are easy to write. It's the minimalist stuff that's challenging." 

I am already working on a hack that is lovingly titled "Arsenic & Old Lace" and I am hoping that it will be ready to be released into the wild sooner rather than later. Though, that is a minor note as a challenge needs rules. I know what you thinking but having some rules will create some uniformity and help keep the original spirit of Sword & Backpack alive. 

Without further ado, here they are:

1. How to Play and Storyteller section

2. At least three "Jobs"

3. Strong Implied Setting

4. Only a Single d20 for Resolution 

5. Invisible Rule Book 

6. Use of the Powered By Sword & Backpack Logo

7. Keep the Spirit of the Dungeonpunk Manifesto alive!

The Sword and Backpack logos were amazingly re-imagined by Luke Herbert (you can find him on IG @herbertappleseed). In addition, you can find the hi-resolution versions of all three styles here!


No comments:

Post a Comment