Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Superstitions of Math Rocks

 

So, as a gamer and a table top role player specifically I have acquired multitudes of dice. These multitudes include polyhedral sets, sets of d6's in various sizes, sets of d10s, and some odder and more unique dice thrown in for good measure. Many moons ago I took a bunch of bags and organized all of my dice (at the time) into these bags by what type of the dice they are. Though the cubes of d6s and other sets that come in their own containers are kept in said containers still.

Since then, I have obviously acquired more dice and in my old age I have become more superstitious about my dice. I have a favorite sets that I use consistently but I will occasionally switch out a set for another one of my favorite sets. As I do not want to travel with a dice bag that is overflowing. In addition to becoming more superstitious with my dice, I have become a lot more careful/picky/discerning when I choose to acquire new dice. This can be hard for me as sometimes it takes some serious self control. Though, I think that might be because I am part dragon and lust after "shiny". What I look for now are dice that have better contrast, maybe slightly bigger then standard, and a set that I can acquire an additional d20 and 3d6.

Regardless, there is a ritual when it comes to my dice and when I acquire a new set. This is in addition to how they are treated at the table and at home.

  • New dice are cleansed in various ways. This is to remove any negative mojo
  • Dice are then stores in my currently preferred bag/box for travels (assuming they are one of my favorites and in the rotation of use)
  • No one is allowed to touch my dice 
  • I keep my dice with the highest value facing up at the table, even in roll under systems
  • I have a three strike and your out rule for my dice - this mostly pertains to d20s but others can carry the same rules. Usually a strike is earned when the dice roll really low. After the third strike, the dice is placed into a dice jail and will remain there until the next session or for an extended amount of time (like a week or more). 

That is really it. Though, I will add that is someone touches my dice at the table I will not use that dice and then re-cleanse them all.  

Now, do I have any statistical evidence that this improves anything? No. Does it give me hope and make me feel better? Yes. Do I think it appeases the Dice Gods? Yes.

Are the dice still little traitors? Possibly. 

In my travels, I have heard some pretty great superstitions or things that other players do with their dice. A person I knew would take his misbehaving dice and put them in the freezer. Others have made a mojo bag for their death and used candles and other things. Some stores I have heard is doing a lot of test rolls and bringing to the table only those dice that passed. 

I am curious what other superstitions are there. I find these stories interesting and fun. Please, drop a comment and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment